Cyndi taught Austin sign language when he was little. She is planning to teach little Abby sign language, too. The 1/6/10 Oregon City News had a lengthy article called A sign of success for babies about Shira Fogel teaching parents how to teach their toddlers sign language.
Advantages of signing with your baby from the article:
• It is a fact that babies can acquire the ability to understand language long before the muscles in their mouth enable them to actually speak.
• Research proves the gap between comprehension and speech production can be bridged by using sign language.
• Sign language helps provide an earlier foundation for language development.
• Sign language has been scientifically proven to raise IQs an average of 12 points higher than non-signing children.
• Even when children start speaking, their words are often very difficult to understand; sign language provides an additional clue to help toddlers tell you what they are trying to say. This helps tremendously in minimizing the “terrible two’s.”
For more interesting info, check out my website at https://mygrandmasue.wordpress.com